Tuesday, July 12, 2011

sun, snow, swim, shiver...all in a weekend

This weekend was a busy one, so I'm going to let my photos do most of the talking.

Saturday we visited Annecy, which is a little mountain town very close to Geneva, and home to France's purest lake. The city is sometimes called the little Venice of France because of the canal that runs through the entire town. Upon arrival we stopped for a delicious and fancy lunch, we then toured the Palais de l'Ile which was a prison in the middle ages, and finally we went to the lake to relax and swim.


 A very friendly swan
 Veal wrapped around mushrooms, with potatoes, green beans, pea pods and fried polenta squares
Maryel and I with our wine and macarons 
 I finally had a tiny French coffee! 
Which is the equivalent of an espresso shot and requires a lot of sugar.
 Trying to escape my cell in the prison!


 Maryel and I by the lake
 Water slide!

Sunday we took our first CUEF excursion to Chamonix, a mountain town very close to Mt. Blanc, the highest point in Europe (15,744ft or 4,808m). We took the cable car up to Aiguille du Midi, which is 3832 meters up. The cost of the cable car was a little ridiculous (35 euro) but well worth it. Unfortunately it was cloudy sunday, so our view could have been better, but I can't complain! After coming down we explored the quaint little touristy town for a few hours, and then headed back to Grenoble, exhausted.

 Our cable car
 Halfway there, waiting for car #2
 Ahhh!! Cold, scary, windy!
 Proof
 In a cloud




 Not sure if its readable, but the sign under the window says "Chez Melanie" which means "Melanie's place/house"
 Aww, family photo ;)

So, hopefully these pictures describe my weekend better than any words could! They were very different, but equally wonderful trips, though if I could go again, I would choose Annecy, it was incredibly beautiful and relaxing. This week should be a fun one, since the 14th is the French National Holiday and we will ahve school off. Then Friday afternoon we leave for Cote d'Azur, so I'll be very busy today and tomorrow trying to get a head start on my homework!

No comments:

Post a Comment