Saturday, June 25, 2011

a different time zone, among other things.

I have arrived. After nearly 24 hours of grueling traveling and waiting, I am finally in Grenoble. Here:
The long trip here was surprisingly uneventful, I found another student from my program after my flight, waiting for baggage, and we teamed up to conquer the train systems. We later met about 6 other students from the program while waiting for the train. We boarded the TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse) and we zipped though the French countryside from Paris to Lyon. I tried sleeping, but the bits or scenery I did see was mostly farmland. We then connected to our train to Grenoble, which was only slightly stressful, because the station didn't indicate the platform until we had less than 5 minutes until departure, but we made it. 

Upon arrival in Grenoble, Stephanie, the daughter of my host mom Francoise, picked my up with her little daughter, whose name I didn't quite catch. We took the brief trip through town to the house and I was thoroughly impressed with the "jardin", the photos do not do it justice. There are many beautiful plants and trees, and there is a view of the mountains just through some of the trees. The best surprise was the dog greeting us at the door. After unpacking my stuff, quenching my thirst, and otherwise settling in, we went for a dip in the pool. The pool is like bathwater, I think because it is covered with a half-cylinder of glass to protect it from debris from the trees.

I am exhausted but content. There isn't much to do but wait until dinner time. Then I think I will head straight to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment